Friday, November 04, 2005

Thursday, October 6, 2005Early Church Doctrine on Marriage, Divorce, and Remarriage

Summary of Early Church Doctrine on Marriage, Divorce and Remarriage

90 A.D. – 419 A.D

1. If a spouse persists in adulterous behavior and there is no other alternative, the marriage relationship can be terminated by the innocent party. (Hermes, Clement, Jerome, Augustine)

2. Spouses that are divorced for any reason must remain celibate and single as long as both spouses live. Remarriage is expressly prohibited. (Hermes, Justin Martyr, Clement, Origen, Basil, Ambrose, Jerome, Augustine)

3. To indulge in lust with the mind is to be guilty of adultery of the heart. (Justin Martyr)

4. Whoever marries a divorced person commits adultery. (Hermes, Justin Martyr, Clement, Origen, Basil, Ambrose, Jerome, Augustine)

5. Whoever contracts a second marriage, whether a Christian or not, while a former spouse lives is sinning against God. (Justin Martyr, Ambrose)

6. God does not, and the Church must not, take into account human law when it is in violation of God’s law. (Justin Martyr, Origen, Ambrose)

7. God judges motives and intentions, private thought life and actions. (Justin Martyr)

8. The marriage covenant between a man and a woman is permanent, as long as both husband and wife are alive. (Clement, Origen, Ambrose, Jerome, Augustine)

9. It is a serious offence against God to take another person’s spouse. (Basil)

10. The Church must charge all persons who are in possession of another living person’s former husband or wife with adultery. (Basil)

11. Sexual relations are a marital right that is limited to one’s own husband or wife. (Hermes, Justin Martyr, Clement, Origen, Basil, Ambrose, Jerome, Augustine)

12. Sexual relations with one’s legitimate spouse protects from sexual sin. (Ambrose)

13. Marriage and sexual relations with a remarried spouse while a former spouse lives is the sin of adultery. (Hermes, Justin Martyr, Clement, Origen, Basil, Ambrose, Jerome, Augustine)

14. It is a serious mistake to believe that it is simply one’s right to divorce a spouse and take another. Even though human law may permit such a thing, God strictly forbids it, and cannot, and will not honor it. (Clement, Origen, Ambrose, Jerome, Augustine)

15. Anyone who follows human customs and laws regarding marriage, divorce and remarriage, instead of God’s Divine instructions should stand in fearful awe of God Himself. (Clement, Ambrose)

16. All lawmakers, in and out of the Church are warned, to their peril, to hear and obey the Word of the Lord in regard to His commands on marriage and divorce. (Ambrose)

17. Christians are to stop making excuses and trying to find justification for divorce and remarriage. There are no valid reasons acceptable to God. (Jerome, Augustine)

18. A marriage is for life. No matter what a spouse turns out to be, or how they may act, what they do or don’t do, or the sins they commit, the covenant remains fully in effect. A remarriage whilea former spouse lives is not marriage at all, but sinful adultery. God does not divide the one flesh relationship except by physical death. (Hermes, Clement, Origen, Basil, Ambrose, Jerome, Augustine)

19. Marriage is a lifelong covenant that will never be invalidated by God while both parties live. (Hermes, Justin Martyr, Clement, Origen, Basil, Ambrose, Augustine)



yeshuaessenor at 2:55:00 PM EDT (Link to this entry)
This entry has 4 comments: (Add your own)
    Dearest Betty,

    I was divorced AFTER I was saved...

    Our enemy is so very subtil ...and if we do not CLING to JESUS and HIS (GOD's) HOLY WORD with all our strength, if we at ANY verse of scripture say, "well, yes, I see that scripture, but I am NOT going to look at it for now"

    we WILL be decieved.

    I have loved and followed JESUS for years. I had recieved the HOLY SPIRIT's Baptism.

    I am without excuse.

    For years after my divorce I searched for a 'knight in shining armour'....
    not really. I just wanted a Good Man who Loved me.
    Really loved me. Enough to want to spend time with me. that's all.
    It was the greatest desire of my heart. and according to Psalms 34:7
    well, I always thought Conrado was the answer to thousands of prayers
    and even GOD's promise.

    When we started going to our church everyone was so loving .... kind.
    We were expecting Joseph at the time. Joseph is now 1 year and 3 months old.
    I have been teaching Sunday School there for quite some time now... and FASTING and
    PRAYING for revival...and Evangelizing on the Web...

    When GOD illuminated my sin to me, I was...this is hard to imagine, because I don't even understand myself what happened...
    all this time ... I thought I was o.k. with GOD.

    but I wasn't.

    I was an adulteress! In DANGER OF GOD'S JUDGEMENT.
    Comment from yeshuaessenor - 10/10/05 5:35 PM

    Delete Comment

    ...(cont.)

    If I had died at anytime during this past year....I would have been damned to hell
    for GOD's HOLY WORD clearly says,

    Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
    Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

    That's a ..sobering thought.
    And it brings to light this scripture Paul wrote:

    But I keepunder my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway. 1Co 9:27

    more and more GOD is telling me to give my testimony... as wickedly and shamefully I have lived, HE still forgives me.
    There are others, too, that may be saved who may be thinking there is NO forgiveness left for them...and still others who may be thinking they are 'hunky-dory' and 'fine-and-dandy' when all in the world they are
    is LOST IN SIN and in DANGER of the JUDGEMENT!

    How can I thank you for all the love and encouragement you two Dear Sisters in the LORD show to me?
    I pray GOD HIMSELF lets you know
    GOD Bless you, Betty and Tammy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    GOD's Blessings to everyone who reads this.
    amen



    Comment from yeshuaessenor - 10/10/05 5:34 PM

    Delete Comment

    I dont agreee with all of these people, first off they are just people and theres no scripture behind the quotes

    angelrose
    Comment from angelrose2u - 10/8/05 12:22 AM

    Delete Comment Block this Screen Name

    Cammie, email me. I want to know the circumstances of your divorce; were you divorced before you were saved?

    betty
    Comment from lv2trnscrb - 10/6/05 3:45 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

home

ADVENTURES IN GOD: Thursday, October 6, 2005Early Church Doctrine on Marriage, Divorce, and Remarriage
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com